Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer Reading: Titanic: Voices from the Disaster

Book Title: Titanic: Voices from the Disaster

Author: Deborah Hopkinson

Summary: This book is about when the RMS (royal maiden ship) Titanic sunk from a journey from Southampton to New York. Most people thought she'd never sink, because she was a glorious and beautiful ship, which was so big. But there was not enough lifeboats and people weren't aware of the disaster. The book also shows the points of view some survivors had when this huge event happened, and how they managed to survive.

I liked the book a lot, since it took you through all of the events of the Titanic in order, and you could visualize how the Titanic sank. I also liked it because it was a very exciting adventure.

I would recommend this book to people who like to read about adventure, and like reading about mysterious things that have happened in history.
-D

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of reading the first book, and I can't wait to read the rest. The books put you in tragic fatal events and you actually feel like your there.
    So, props to the author. She knows how to put in graceful language that fits perfectly into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read many books about the Titanic. I really agree with the author when she said that even a century later, people are still fascinated with the subject. Even though I have read many books about the Titanic, this book introduced me to a few passengers that I hadn't read about before, and I saw some new pictures. This book reminded me about the plight of those on the collapsible B life raft. Even though they made it off the ship, they remained in danger until the Carpathia saved them.

    If you are interested in the Titanic, here are some good books that are appropriate for most reading levels:
    Tonight on the Titanic by Mary Pope Osborne (Magic Tree House book)

    Dear America: Voyage On The Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
    These two are historical fiction books that involve some made up characters and some real people. Most of the details of the sinking are accurate.

    Exploring the Titanic by Robert Ballard
    This book has amazing pictures of the first crew to discover the Titanic in the depths of the Atlantic. It has a lot of really good information about the sinking and the hunt for the ship.

    ReplyDelete