Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Reading: Fablehaven

I just finished reading the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. It's a series of 5 books about a brother and sister who discover that their grandparents are in charge of a very unique nature preserve. Instead of endangered animals, the preserve houses many different kinds of magical creatures. Over the 5 books, Kendra and Seth have a lot of adventures and meet many different magical creatures.

If you enjoy characters like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, then I think you will enjoy these books. I'm going to try and get this series for the classroom library (I borrowed them from the public library). I'm also interested in reading some of the other books by this author.

These books are a little challenging for a fifth grade level if you aren't familiar with magical and mythical creatures. I wouldn't worry if you're not sure how to say a word like "naiad" out loud, but instead concentrate on creating really good pictures in your head. It will really help put yourself in the story.

1 comment:

  1. The first book of Fablehaven has already got me hooked up to the series. It has lots of adventure and action packed inside.

    -Divya

    ReplyDelete